You’ve got questions. We’ve got answers. Our Bedding Consultants® have gathered your most common mattress questions in one convenient place.
When should I replace my mattress?
Your current mattress is over eight years old.
You wake up with aches and pains every morning.
You would rather fall asleep on your couch because it’s more comfortable than your bed.
Your mattress “looks” like a hand me down, or maybe actually is.
You wake up feeling just as tired as or more tired than when you went to bed.
You see lumps and dips in your mattress.
What size mattress do I need?
1. Twin Mattress: The perfect bed for one adult or child. Use a twin mattress for small rooms, dorms, vacation homes, etc. This mattress will also fit twin size hi-risers and day beds. Measurements: 39” x 75”
2. Twin Extra Long Mattress: This sized mattress is used mostly in college dorm rooms because it provides extra length for tall individuals. Measurements: 39” x 80”
4. Full Size: This is the smallest sized mattress to consider for two people. It’s also very popular for children. Measurements: 54” x 75”
5. Full Extra Long: Provides extra length for taller individuals. Measurements: 54” x 80”
6. Queen Size: The most popular size for two people. This mattress provides a comfortable sleeping area. Measurements: 60” x 80”
7. King Size: The perfect solution for two people. This mattress gives you a lot of room to get comfortable without disturbing your partner. Measurements: 76” x 80”
Note*the box spring for this mattress is made in two pieces to allow for easy delivery and assembly.
8. California King: This size offers more length with less width and is the standard king size on the West Coast. Measurements: 72” x 84”
Should I replace my box spring when I replace my mattress?
It is recommended that you buy a box spring/foundation that is specifically designed to match your new mattress. A mattress and foundation are created to work together as a set, and the foundation contributes to the bed’s comfort and support. Therefore, putting a new mattress on an old foundation or pairing it with a box spring or foundation it wasn’t designed for impedes comfort and reduces the life of your new mattress.
How much should I spend on my new mattress set?
A good night’s sleep is one of the best investments you can make. Therefore, you should buy the best mattress you can afford. Remember, most of us spend as much as one-third of our time in bed!
What are the most popular types of mattresses?
1. Innerspring - This is the most popular type of mattress. It's constructed with several steel coils that counter various degrees of pressure with equal support. These mattresses are most often layered with foam for added cushioning.
2. Memory Foam - This is a man-made high-density material that reacts to your body's weight, shape and temperature to provide support while conforming to your body. This material is also anti-microbial.
I have a platform bed. Do I need a box spring?
Platform beds consist of frames with a solid platform or wooden slats across it for the mattress to rest on. These types of beds are relatively low to the ground and do not require a box spring/foundation.
Do I need a split box spring?
Split boxes are foundations made of two separate box springs placed side-by-side and are used for delivery to places where a normal box spring will not fit, such as through tight doorways, staircases or around narrow corners. A split box spring is always required for a king size mattress. Queen size box springs are available in two types: Whole and Split box springs. Split queen box springs are two 30” x 80” boxes that equal the size of one whole queen.
Will I need to adjust to my new mattress?
You may feel a slight discomfort from your new mattress for the first week or two, this is absolutely normal. Your body has grown accustom to the old mattress and your new one is now supporting your body. In fact, it may take up to two weeks for your body to adjust to your new mattress! Just remember, the mattress should conform to you, not you to it.